Linked with Karsten Weitzenegger Consulting, with The Global Financial Crisis: What does it mean for microfinance? with South East European Educational Cooperation Network SEE-ECN, and with Consultative Group to Assist the Poor CGAP.
Karsten Weitzenegger is a political scientist specialising in international development cooperation. He is an expert on developing participatory organisational changes in the field of social and economic policy. His work has focused on institution building for financial and non-financial business development services, ownership and governance issues, and also investment and export promotion activities or products from developing and transition countries. As long term expert with the United Nations, Mr Weitzenegger has provided advice to the Government of Sao Tome and Principe on the design of the national economic policy and poverty alleviation programs. He has also recently advised banks, business associations and vocational training authorities on business services and product development. Key Qualifications: … (full long text). See also his CV on South East European Cooperation Network.
Karsten Weitzenegger – Germany
Only broad, sustainable economic growth creates opportunities for employment that can move large sections of the population out of poverty. Organisations that provide underprivileged men and women with access to education and capital enable them to contribute toward growth as well as benefit from it. Free market access and legal security in conjunction with modern communication and transport infrastructures set the stage for a good business climate and thus the international competitiveness of developing and transition countries. At the same time, industrial countries can help reduce world poverty by respecting fair-trade conditions and social and ecological standards … (full text).
The October 2006 Newsletter for international co-operation professionals on economic and social development by Karsten Weitzenegger, International Development Cooperation has a Special Edition on Post-conflict economies. There is a report on the conference Private Sector Development and Peacebuilding, relevant Organisations and Websites, Training Events and Learning Materials, Publications and Tools. Free subscription by sending an e-mail. The Web version is available on October 2006 from weitzenegger.de.
Some Google groups he is participating:
- International Cooperation and Economic Development;
- Caribbean Regional Integration;
- XING – Entwicklungs und Zusammenarbeit / le réseau mondial de networking professionel;
- bit . listserv . slovak-l;
- More on Google Group-search.
UNDP Crisis Prevention and Recovery: The Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (BCPR) is one of nine major bureaus within the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Consistent with UNDP’s mission to promote sustainable human development, the focus is on the development dimension of crisis situations. Currently developing a new website for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (CPR) information, which will be available in October 2006. (Contributed by Karsten Weitzenegger).
On Google Blog-search you find:
- … In the following I list some virtual communities, where economic development professionals meet and share knowledge. If you recommend more, please add them as a comment … (full text);
- … The Accra Agenda for Action is the product of an unprecedented alliance of development partners – developing and donor countries, emerging economies, UN and multilateral institutions, global funds and civil society organisations. They all participated in the discussions leading up to the Third High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness, hosted by the Government of Ghana and organised by OECD and the World Bank, in Accra … (full long text);
- … The October 2006 Newsletter for international co-operation professionals on economic and social development by Karsten Weitzenegger (http://www.weitzenegger.de) has a Special Edition on Post-conflict economies. There is a report on the conference Private Sector Development and Peacebuilding, relevant Organisations and Websites, Training Events and Learning Materials, Publications and Tools … (full text);
- Keine Chance als Young Professional in der EZ?
- AGEG WIRAM NEWS NETWORK – This Newsletter is a summary and analysis of trends in economic development in international co-operation policy … ;
- Empowering Cybernetic Codevelopment with Africa.
- …Poverty Impact Assessment (PIA) helps decision makers determine strategic choices for public actions so as to have the greatest impact on reducing poverty and achieving pro-poor growth. PIA provides a better understanding about potential winners and losers of an intervention and thus strengthens a results-oriented approach. PIA helps to understand stakeholders and institutions that influence and are influenced by an intervention understand the importance and inter-relationship of specific transmission channels through which changes are transmitted to the stakeholders assess the likely positive and negative outcomes for stakeholders taking into account multi-dimensionality of poverty assess the reliability of data/information and knowledge gaps. Using PIA, policy-makers can estimate the likely quantitative and qualitative outcomes of the policy for poor groups, identify potential risks and assess the reliability of available data. Through involving people with different interests and approaches, ex-ante Impact Assessment helps to save resources, and design interventions to be better targeted to achieve their goals and avoid unintended harmful consequences. Thus it also contributes to strengthening the transparency and accountability of democratically elected governments, and encourages consistency of policy-making across policy areas … (full text, March 14, 2009);
- … Aus Anlass der Vertragsstaatenkonferenzen der UN-Konvention über die biologische Vielfalt und des Protokolls über die biologische Sicherheit organisieren wir einen Internationalen Kongreß zur Zukunft von Lebensmitteln und Landwirtschaft … // … Im deutschen Organisationskomitee arbeiten zusammen: Die Arbeitsgemeinschaft bäuerliche Landwirtschaft (AbL), der BUND, Greenpeace, der Evangelische Entwicklungsdienst, IFOAM (der Weltverband des Ökolandbaus), GENET (ein europaweites Netzwerk gentechnikkritischer Organisationen) , Gen-ethisches Netzwerk (GeN), Heinrich Böll Stiftung und andere Verbände … (full text).
The value chain, also known as value chain analysis, is a concept from business management that was first described and popularized by Michael Porter in his 1985 best-seller, Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. The concept has been extended beyond individual organizations. It can apply to whole supply chains and distribution networks. By exploiting the upstream and downstream information flowing along the value chain, the firms may try to bypass the intermediaries creating new business models, or in other ways create improvements in its value system. The value chain describes the full range of activities that firms and workers do to bring a product from its conception to its end use and beyond. This includes activities such as design, production, marketing, distribution and support to the final consumer. The activities that comprise a value chain can be contained within a single firm or divided among different firms. Value chain activities can produce goods or services, and can be contained within a single geographical location or spread over wider areas. The competitiveness of firms not only depends on the functioning of suppliers and buyers within a cluster, but also and often most importantly, on the entire chain at the national and global level. The value chain approach helps to identify all the enterprises that contribute to the production of a good or service within and beyond a cluster and shows which actions are needed to support these enterprises … (full text).
Tagung Migration(en) und Entwicklung(en), Transformation von Paradigmen, Organisationen und Geschlechterordnungen, Entwicklungspolitik für, mit und durch Migrant/innen: Wie geht das?
Karsten Weitzenegger, Dipl.-Pol., AGEG Consultants eG, 11 pdf-Seiten.
CGAP’s Virtual Conference Highlights: How will microfinance weather the financial crisis storm? Dec 1, 2008;
Summary of the CGAP Virtual Conference: Microfinance and the Financial Crisis;
Financial Crisis Glossary – a guide to the buzzwords of the crisis;
The Industry Speaks on the Financial Crisis, Dec 1, 2008;
Initialement créé en 1976, en tant que Centre universitaire d’écologie humaine et des sciences de l’environnement (CUEH), le Groupe Ecologie humaine a rejoint le Pôle en Sciences de l’Environnement de l’Université de Genève en janvier 2008 …